Skip to main content

Downstairs XIV and XV

  
Two Rooms at Two Castles

These two paintings were done entirely with palette knives, without the use of brushes.

While recently re-reading the famous book "Alla Prima" by Richard Schmid, I came across his advice to practice more with a palette knife. This idea seemed both fantastic and daunting at the same time:  

"...There is no limit to what can be done with a knife. The best way I know of to learn how to use it is to lock away your brushes for several weeks and paint only with a knife. I warn you that it will be extremely frustrating at first, but don't give up. The difficulty is normal. If you haven't used a knife before, you will feel like you are crippled - like a right-hander doing everything with the left hand or vice versa. However, it is worth every ounce of pain and effort. The ability to use a knife well is like having a whole new language..."


So, I needed to try it out, and I must say, it is not only tricky and frustrating but also great fun. I love it so far, and I hope I will use the knives often. The palette knife creates loose strokes by design, resulting in impressionistic effects, unique edges, and blending, especially on small surfaces. You are almost compelled to leave out the details, which makes this challenge a fantastic way to learn to paint loosely. I’m glad I gave it a try.

This time, I chose to work on two historical interiors since I still have many photos I took that I could paint from. 

While these interiors are not exactly "downstairs" rooms, I believe they still fit my Downstairs series. The play of lights and shadows still intrigues me, as do the geometric shapes and perspectives of historical interior architecture. 

The first painting depicts a corner room in the gallery of the medieval Castle Hernen. I was drawn to the simplicity of the setting, enhanced by two sources of light (one of which is not visible). It was a rainy day during my visit, so everything had a greyish tone. Let it be "Downstairs XIV", oil on canvas 30 x 40 cm, alla prima, limited palette.



The second one is the interior of one of the rooms in De Heringastate (Poptaslot). I did another piece last year (titled Downstairs XII), and I am still deeply impressed by the place and its story.  
Let's call this one Downstairs XV, oil on acid-free cardboard 24 x 30 cm, alla prima, limited palette.


View the finished paintings in my gallery.

Exhibitions:

- Driedaagse Expo at Stalhuus, June 2026, Hollum
- Valta's Downstairs at Museum Sorgdrager, October - December 2026, Hollum


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist's Home

  Ameland Views on the Walls of the Artist's Home  A couple of weeks ago, I received a very special commission from the Eiland van Verhalen . The client requested that I design a background decoration for their stage show - a kind of illustration that would combine the iconic views of all four villages on the island. The final piece needed to be in a certain proportion, as it will be printed on a screen measuring 4 by 2.3 meters. I proposed the idea of creating a "paintings painting", featuring the interior of an island house adorned with paintings on the walls, each one depicting recognisable landmarks from the villages. This idea appealed to me as it presented a nice challenge and an opportunity to create a genuine painting. The client agreed that it was an interesting concept.  I had five weeks to complete the commission. Paul and I went across the island, taking hundreds of photographs for reference. I decided to use the interior of our own home as the compositional t...

Master Studies

  Studying  I believe that practice is the best form of learning, and master copying is the most effective to practice while studying. Since we always (aspire to) learn, I find that copying a masterpiece that inspires you is an excellent method to achieve this.  In essence, master copying is not about creating perfect replicas; instead, it's about gaining a deeper understanding of artistic principles and techniques. It's a valuable tool for any artist seeking to improve their skills and expand their knowledge.  From time to time, I will update this post with my new master studies. Here are some: May 2025 After J.C. Leyendecker painting "Couple on Deck Chairs. 1904" I have been fascinated by the works and biography of this great Golden Age artist for a long time. Recently, I finally read a beautiful book titled simply, "J.C. Leyendecker", written by Laurence S. Cutler and Judy Goffman Cutler. His name and influence were most prolific; his private life was kep...

Matthew's POV

Challenging a masterpiece Since I've always wanted to learn more about chiaroscuro and tenebrism, I thought it would be useful to try and master-copy a (detail of a) tenebrist masterpiece. And what is my favourite painting by the great Master of Tenebrism? The Calling of Saint Matthew by Caravaggio, of course.  I can stare at this painting (or the photographs and videos of it) for hours, exploring and still discovering numerous aspects and details, often ending with more questions than answers. The one certainty is that the composition, colours and values, poses and gestures, and most of all, the light , that plays the leading role, are the work of mind of a true genius. I spent hours trying to find out about the nature and the position of those light sources (and there were surely more than one!), yet I still don't know exactly how Caravaggio designed that setting. For a long time, I hesitated, but one day I decided to try master-copying a detail of the painting. In any case,...